In a Nutshell
Free range troublemaker, tinkerer, axe-grinder, noise-maker, pedestrian, and holder of many email addresses.
Owner and operator of Actual Consulting. We do Internet and occasional desktop tools, plus web development, scripting, QA & testing, and some minor service hosting. Typical projects include site & service implementation and maintenance, data analysis, tool development, security/penetration testing, protocol design, and database optimization.
Musician & composer. Session work and demos, as well as commercials, television, film, online media, podcasts, and general audio production. Also playing occasionally with Seattle-area projects.
Freelance writer & editor; news and analysis, technical books & documentation, general interest articles, and rare forays into fiction and screenplays.
Editor at Large for TidBITS, the long-running free online Macintosh & Internet newsletter. Former contributor at Digital Trends.
Jeopardy! champion. No kidding.
I live in Seattle, Washington. Traffic is awful, parking is worse, and, yes, it rains all the time and in the winter it gets dark early, and the place is overrun with Amazon dudebros. So, trust me, you don't want to move here.
I was born and raised in Reno, Nevada, where kitsch meets asphalt. I went to school in Ohio.
I Am Not…
I used to be about the only Geoff Duncan on the Internet. Now there are many, and even a few in Seattle area. Among the people who are not me:
- A photographer based in Austin, Texas
- A Seattle-based cloud/AWS/biz software developer
- A Seattle-area semiconductor engineer
- A former AAA baseball relief pitcher turned Georgia politician
- A New Zealand software developer
- An Australian originally from Oklahoma who's sometimes on the radio
- A Florida-based Web designer
- A Nashville-based songwriter/producer who played bass in an ’80s New Zealand rock band
- A director at an Australian television broadcaster
- A professional translator in Surrey, England
- A United Reformed Church elder in London
- A farmer/rancher in New South Wales, Australia
- …and several more
I'm sure over the years these folks and others have been delighted by searching the Internet and finding me. Sorry ’bout that.
Hey, what's life without fine print?